“A sub-conscious flight out of a shoe shine box.”
Set in a busy street of Dar es Salaam, a shoeshine boy offers us a conscious and subconscious perspective of the space and people of his city ranging from the local politician to University students as well as the neighbor tea maker. This short-film is both a social commentary and an artistic depiction of the life, aspirations and perspectives of a working child.
‘Shoeshine’ written by Amil Shivji has been selected out of 120 scripts sent from all over Africa to go into production with the support of Canal France International’s Haraka! Grant. CFI will also be distributing across its channels on the continent, at CFI events in France and worldwide.
- Won People’s Choice Award at 16th Zanzibar International Film Festival 2013
- Nominated Best Short Film at Africa Magic Viewer’s Choice Awards 2014
- Nominated Best Director at Africa Magic Viewer’s Choice Awards 2014
- Official selection 43rd International Film Festival Rotterdam 2014
- Official selection Film Africa 2013
- Official selection Euro African Film Festival 2013
- Official selection Africa In Motion Film Festival 2013
- Official selection 44th Tampere Film Festival 2014
- Official selection 33rd Verona African Film Festival 2013
- Official selection 3rd Winter Film Awards 2014